Tuesday, November 29, 2011

TED Talk Tuesday: Jason Tom, Hawai's Human Beatbox

The past few weeks, I've been highlighting TED Talks that focus on inspiration and potential. This week, I'm sticking to the theme, but deviating the delivery method slightly to show you one of my favorite performances from TEDxHonolulu that happened earlier this month (see my previous post for a recap).

Meet Jason Tom, Hawaii's Human Beatbox.  He is not only a ridiculously talented beatboxer, get this - he started a beatbox school, that teaches vocal percussion AND does outreach with youth and the community.  Seriously rad.

Check out his performance here:
Couple things- I was at this performance (you can see the silhouette of my head and legs once in a while on screen- front row on the right) and I have to say that while the video is pretty amazing, if you ever get the chance to catch him live, it is SO MUCH BETTER!

Second, the reason his performance keeps with the theme of potential and inspiration is that I don't think I can think of a better example of stretching the limits of potential than what Jason can do with his voice.  The sounds that he creates from his body are seriously incredible.  Beyond that, what he has done with his talent is truly inspiring. His performance at TEDxHonolulu was one of the ones that inspired me to start this blog.

If you want to see more of Jason, check out his blog or his YouTube Channel.  Trust me, you'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment