Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Mugging of Julio Diaz: A Story About Remarkable Generosity

Today's Inspiration Cupcake is one of the most unbelievable stories of generosity I've ever heard.

One evening, Julio Diaz stepped off the subway onto an empty platform in the Bronx and was approached by a teenage boy with a knife demanding his wallet.

Julio handed over his wallet, and as the boy started walking away, Julio stopped him.  He said, "Hey, wait a minute. You forgot something. If you're going to be robbing people for the rest of the night, you might as well take my coat to keep you warm."  

The boy stopped dead in his tracks and asked, "Why are you doing this?"

Julio responded, "If you're willing to risk your freedom for a few dollars, then I guess you must really need the money. I mean, all I wanted to do was get dinner and if you really want to join me ... hey, you're more than welcome."  The boy took him up on his offer and they ate dinner at Julio's favorite diner. 


When the waitress left the bill, Julio said to the boy, "Look, I guess you're going to have to pay for this bill 'cause you have my money and I can't pay for this. So if you give me my wallet back, I'll gladly treat you."  The boy returned the wallet and Julio gave him $20.  Julio asked for something in return — the knife.  The boy gave it to him.  


Listen to Julio's story in his own words on NPR's Storycorps here:

No comments:

Post a Comment